The easiest and fastest way to get to your vacation destination in Montenegro is to book a plane ticket. There are international airports of Montenegro in Podgorica and Tivat now.
All the flights in Montenegro are charter flights only – there are no domestic flights since the distance between the airports is 80 kilometers.
The content of the article
International airports in Montenegro
To go to Montenegro for a vacation by plane, you must first select the airport of arrival. The choice depends on the destination:
- if the resort is located on the Bar or Ulcinj Riviera, it is better to arrive in Podgorica,
- if it is in the Bay of Kotor or the Budva Riviera, the preference should be given to the Tivat terminal.
The airport in the capital of Montenegro, Podgorica, is located next to the railway station, they are only 12 minutes away by car and 8 kilometers.
The airport operates around the clock, you can visit a cafe, wrap the luggage, rent a car, and leave a car in the parking lot there.
To decide which airport in Montenegro to choose, it’s enough to know the distance from the terminal to the resort:
- • the journey takes about 1 hour from Podgorica to Budva by car, the distance is 60 km,
- it will take 2 hours to Ulcinj, 100 km,
- approximate time is 2 hours to Herceg-Novi, 120 km.
Montenegro has 2 cities with airports only: Tivat and Podgorica. Don’t be upset if you cannot book a plane ticket to the terminal located closer to the resort, because the country is small and therefore you won’t have to travel long distances.
If you have free money, you can buy an apartment in Montenegro. This is an excellent investment in resort real estate.
Read reviews about holidays with children in Montenegro here. Do children like Montenegro?
Tivat is the country’s international airport, located 4 kilometers from the city it is named after (see the location of the Tivat airport on the map of Montenegro above). It was opened in 1971.
Characteristics of Tivat airport:
- there is one terminal with an area of 4,057 sq.m., which includes 11 check-in counters;
- length of the runway is 2.5 thous. meters;
- maximum number of the aircraft hour service is 6 hours;
- closest cities to the airport are Tivat (4 km), Kotor (4 km), and Budva (21 km).
The main flow of passengers falls on the summer vacation period. At this time, it is open from 7 am and closes 30 minutes after sunset. In winter, the operation time is strictly fixed – 7 am to 4 pm.
Golubovci airport in Podgorica, the capital of Montenegro
The airport is located 11 km away from the city of Podgorica. The name Golubovci was given in honor of the settlement located next to the airport.
Characteristics of the Podgorica airport:
- about 400 people use terminal services in Podgorica every year;
- Airports Council International recognized the airport as the best among smaller airports in 2007;
- maximum number of people served within a year is no more than 1 mln;
- nearest resort cities: Cetinje (40 km) and Budva (60 km).
A new terminal was opened at the airport in 2006 since the existing one could no longer cope with the passenger flow. Its area is 5.5 thous. sq.m., and it hosts cafes, a parking lot, and newsstands.
The Podgorica airport operates around the clock, and you need to arrive 1.5 hours before boarding to depart on time.
The closest airport to Budva
Budva has long been recognized as a tourist center of Montenegro. You can find any entertainment for both beach leisure and sports recreation there.
This city can be reached in 3 ways:
- from the airport located in Tivat (about 10 km away),
- from the Podgorica terminal (60 km),
- from Dubrovnik (70 km).
The Adriatic route passes along the coast, heading to the city.
You can order a transfer from the airport – this service is provided by most hotels in the resort. It must be booked in advance – in this case, the tourists will be met at the airport by a person with their name. This service is paid, the price is usually fixed and negotiated before the tour purchase, the average is 20 euros.
If you do not want to overpay for a transfer or a taxi, then Budva can be reached by shuttle buses from the Tivat or Podgorica airports. They are located near the terminal exit in Tivat. Boarding is carried out at the intersection of the street heading to the airport and the Adriatic highway, which is also called Jadranski Put, the price varies from 2 to 3 euros.
How to get to Petrovac
Petorvac is a city in Montenegro, located 17 km away from Budva. It is especially popular among tourists who prefer to go on vacation with small children.
Since there is no airport near the city, you will have to book air tickets with arrival in Tivat or Podgorica:
- Distance from Tivat to Petrovac is 33 km,
- Distance from Podgorica to Petrovac is 37 km.
You can hire a taxi or take a bus to get to Petrovac from the airport.
Welcome to vacation in Montenegro in September! Empty beaches, low prices and comfortable weather for a beach vacation.
What can you do in Europe in the winter? Of course, mountain skiing in Montenegro information is here.
Get ready for your vacation and don’t worry about what gifts to bring from Montenegro http://adriaticsea.blog/rest/shopping/chto-privezti-iz-chernogorii.html.
Although there are only two airports in Montenegro, they successfully handle the flow of passengers even during the high summer period.
Do not worry if you could not book a ticket to the nearest airport since the country is small and, most likely, travel to the destination will not take more than 2-2.5 hours. To save money on the trip, better book a transfer from the hotel or choose a shuttle bus.