In recent years, Montenegro has been famous not only for summer beach holidays, but also for ski resorts. Here ski holidays started developing after the collapse of Yugoslavia, because all ski resorts of Montenegro were located in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Slovenia.
This caused the creation of two large resorts – Zabljak and Kolasin – in Montenegro. They have become popular very quickly.
The content of the article
Alpine skiing in Montenegro
In recent seasons, more and more tourists have been choosing ski holidays in Montenegro. This is because of the mild climate, picturesque scenery, clean air and reasonable prices as compared to most resorts in other countries.
In addition to skiing in Montenegro, you can go sightseeing and see places of interest in the country, as well as enjoy dishes in local restaurants.
For recreation, you can choose one of two major ski resorts in Montenegro:
How to get to the place of rest? See the location of the nearest international airports in Montenegro and choose your destination.
Ski in the morning, and relax on the beach in the evening! Read reviews about holidays in Montenegro in October here.
Kolasin Ski Resort
The Kolasin resort is named after the town where it is located. Its population does not exceed 5 thousand people. The atmosphere is warm and friendly. The recreation area is located between the Sinyaevina, Bjelasitsa, Klyuch, and Vuche mountains. There are forests of the Biogradsk National Park nearby. Kolasin is famous for its mild climate and unusually clean mountain rivers Tara and Moraca that every year attract more and more tourists from all over the world.
In addition to the excellent location of the resort that prevents it from storms and winds, slopes are of great importance. In Kolasin, they are herbal, not stone, i.e. you will not run into large stones and get injured.
Many tourists point at one more advantage of this resort – this is a quick and easy way to get to it. You can come to Kolashin either by your own car, by train or by regular bus.
Main characteristics of the Kolasin ski resort:
- The length of the main road reaches almost 5 kilometers;
- The total length of downhills is 15 kilometers;
- The top of the mountain is located at a height of 1,930 meters;
- The foot of the mountain is located at a height of 1,420 meters above the sea level; and
- The slopes of Kolashin are equipped with three lifts: two chairlifts and one for children. They bring tourists to the top of the Chupovi Mountain to a height of 1,880 meters. They can carry as many as 3,000 people per hour.
Gallery – Montenegro Ski Resorts
Zabljak Ski Resort
Zabljak is another popular ski resort in Montenegro. It is located in a small town at the foot of the Durmitor mountains.
Tourists come to these regions not only because of alpine skiing, but also because of the pure nature:
- In Zabljak there are 5 canyons;
- More than 1,500 plant species, some of which have been preserved since the Ice Age; and
- The animal world is unusual and diverse. It is represented by 130 species of birds and 300 species of animals, as well as ancient pythons inhabiting lakes of the town.
The resort is famous for its three downhills with a different degree of complexity:
- Savin Kuk is for experienced skiers and professionals. The length of the track is 3,500 meters. It hosts international snowboarding and alpine skiing competitions. The downhill is equipped with 8 lifts: 2 chair, 4 ski-tows and 2 children.
- Štuoc is a bit smaller ski downhill. Its length is 2,630 meters.
- Javorovača – a ski downhill with a length of 800 meters. Beginning skiers should pay attention to it. The track is illuminated, and the slope is equipped with three lifts: 2 drag and 1 for children.
In total, there are 12 tracks in Zabljak, 4 for each category of skiers: professionals, experts and beginners. There are separate tracks for children.
In order to get there, you can use a special mountain transport or go by bus that takes you to the ski lifts of the resort. You cannot come to Zabljak by car or by train.
Tours to Montenegrin Ski Resorts
Although skiing tours to Montenegro have not become very popular yet, there are many interesting offers in Kolasin and Zabljak.
Many tourists prefer to get to the resort on their own and not to use the services of travel agencies, but in both cases prices are quite reasonable as compared to other countries.
Video “Skiing in Montenegro”
Prices for ski resorts in Montenegro
The cost of ski tours to Montenegro varies from 550 to 700 euros. Every year the price slightly increases.
Usually the package includes:
- Travel to the resort (by train or by plane);
- Accommodation (food is usually discussed separately);
- Medical insurance;
- If necessary, transfer from and to the airport and railway station; and
- Utility, resort fees, etc.
However, far from all tours include transfer and medical insurance. Sometimes they must be paid additionally. It is also necessary to clarify living conditions and additional payments for children, because they depend on the child’s age.
At the resort you can rent a full set of ski equipment. Economy class costs 13 euros, and premium – 19 euros per day.
Before you travel, learn whether you need a visa to Montenegro this year. Entry rules are constantly changing.
Your own accommodation at the resort is a good investment and a free “hotel room” of your own. Read here how to buy a cheap apartment in Montenegro.
When you are on vacation, order and taste real Montenegrin pršut http://adriaticsea.blog/mne/cuisine/prshut.html.