The Bay of Kotor is one of the most famous and vibrant landscapes of the Mediterranean. It is located on the southern side of the Adriatic Sea, on the border with Croatia.
With its fjord, the only one in the Mediterranean, the bay has one of the most amazing natural landscapes in Europe and is also known for its beautiful beaches, resorts and historical sites. The bay incorporates several bays united by canals, which create one of the most beautiful natural harbors of Europe.
How to get to the Bay of Kotor?
The easiest way to get to the Bay of Kotor is from the international airport Tivat – the second largest airport, through which most of the tourists arrive.
See the location of the Bay of Kotor on the map:
It is located just 10 km from the bay. The journey will take only 10-20 minutes, taking into account possible traffic jams. If you are planning to travel on your own or rented car, then you should definitely buy the map of the Bay of Kotor, so as not to get lost and get to the place by convenient roads.
Do you know the other cities in Montenegro with the airport? All airports of the country and their location on the map.
Visiting this wonderful country, it is possible that you wish to buy property there. Read here the information on how to cheaply buy an apartment in Montenegro. Do not miss the opportunity to save!
Best hotels on the coast
The area around the Bay of Kotor is reach in hotels of various levels, from luxurious modern ones to old castles and colorful apartments in the nearby villages. But tourists will find hospitality and comfort everywhere, regardless of the length of stay.
For those who want to live as close as possible to the main goal of the journey – the Bay of Kotor, there are hotels just 0.5-2 km from the most beautiful coast of Montenegro.
- Hotel Regina 4* is located in the village of Bijela, 480 meters from the Bay of Kotor and not far from the town of Herceg-Novi. It is a lovely small hotel close to the beach with friendly staff and clean and comfortable rooms. Nearby are the shops that tourists love so much. You can see local attractions, including the Church of the Intercession of the Virgin, located on the very edge of the high bank. Prices at the hotel are very affordable and range from 35 Euros per person per day.
- Hotel Azzurro 3* is located on the beach of the village of Bijela, on the Adriatic coast. The prices range from 45 euros per person per day. It is considered to be one of the best hotels on the coast. Comfortable rooms and a small distance from the main sights make it a favorite place for tourists.
The nearest attractions are:
- Savina Monastery,
- Church of Our Lady of the Rocks,
- Kanli Kula Fortress, and
- St. Michael’s Church.
- Forza Mare 5* is one of the most fashionable hotels in the Bay of Kotor, offering the highest level of service. Modern design, embodying the most daring ideas, unique style and exquisite cuisine make it the best option for the most demanding tourists with exquisite taste.
The hotel is located 3 km from the town of Dobrota on the shore of the Bay of Kotor. The prices range from 160 Euros per person per day.
- Palazzo Radomiri Hotel 4* is a magnificent hotel located right on the shores of the Bay of Kotor. This historic building with all modern amenities is quiet and comfortable.
The hotel is located in a luxurious 18th-century palace. Objects of historical decor, polite staff, and delicious food create a truly homely atmosphere. The sea across the road and the pier at the hotel transform the hotel into the embodiment of a real paradise. Beautiful views in any weather – one is tempted to return there again and again. The prices range from 130 Euros per person per day.
These are just a few of the many hotels in the Bay of Kotor.
The choice is so great that everyone can find for themselves the most suitable one by location, range of services, and comfort.
Local sights: what to see?
Having made a long walk around the Bay of Kotor on the ship, you can see all the nearby cities. Be sure to take a photo of the Bay of Kotor and its beautiful cities in memory of the rest in Montenegro.
The water color, the holes for the submarines in the mountains, the island of the Virgin Mary and, of course, the swimming in the Blue Cave are impressive.
It is impossible to describe all beauty in words.
The Blue Cave is a truly magical and fascinating place. You just have to visit it to feel the whole atmosphere of wonderful radiance, mystery and stunning natural beauty.
The Kotor beaches are peculiar because of the narrow strip along the coast mainly consisting of pebbles.
Further the Kotor beach goes into the Dobrota beach.
The main sight is the majestic views of the bay, opening from pebble beaches and concrete piers.
- Herceg-Novi. It is a Mediterranean resort in the northern coastal part of Montenegro bordering on Croatia. It sprawled at the foot of the mountain of Orien and is one of the main tourist cities of Montenegro.
The water here is exceptionally clear. That is what attracts numerous divers and underwater hunters.
This region of Montenegro is the warmest and sunniest one. Bright sun shines here about 200 days per year. The temperature in the summer reaches 28-30 degrees, and that of the water – 26-27 degrees. In this regard, the swimming season lasts here from May to September. In addition to a beach rest, you can see local attractions, namely:
- Forte Mare, and
- Kanli Kula.
- The old city of Kotor is the most impressive and most seductive one thanks to the stunning setting. The well-preserved center, narrow alleys, squares, churches, and palaces attract travelers from all over the world. Many shops, markets, cafes, restaurants, and clubs create a noisy atmosphere in the middle of the old town. Kotor is full of historical monuments.
The city is surrounded by ancient fortress walls, stretching far into the mountains. Special attention should be paid to:
- St. Tryphon’s Cathedral – the most recognizable symbol of the city,
- Arms Square – small and surrounded by beautiful houses,
- the ancient clock tower,
- an arsenal building, and
- a theater.
- Igalo City. It is a medical and tourist center with a mineral spring and healing mud. The perfect combination of mountain and sea air, subtropical vegetation forms an amazing microclimate.
You may not only lie on the beach but also take care of your health and restore vital forces. Zhanjice on the Luštica peninsula is one of the best pebble beaches in the Bay of Kotor.
- Perast. It is a sea city on the shores of the Bay of Kotor. The city is located at the foot of St. Elias Hill on the very shore of the Bay of Kotor. The attractions of the city include churches of different periods:
- St. Anthony’s Church,
- Church of Our Lady Rosary, and
- St. Nicholas’s Church.
If you are just planning your vacation, we will tell you what to see in Montenegro. Sights of Budva and Bar.
Find out here, how to get to the Ostrog Monastery in Montenegro. The monastery is one of the best wonders of the country.
In case you are going to travel by car, it will not hurt you to learn useful information about cheap car rental in Montenegro http://adriaticsea.blog/mne/transport/arenda-avto.html. Find out all the subtleties of car rental.
Best time to visit the Bay of Kotor
The tourist season for visiting the Bay of Kotor starts in May and ends in October. This is the perfect time for beach rest.
The warm sea, clean air bodes for water entertainment with or without children. There are safe rides and slides for children.
Those who like diving and sea excursions will receive a lot of positive emotions from the trip.
The Bay of Kotor is a place of rest for romantic natures, family holidays with children and travelers eager to immerse themselves in the history of the country. Enchanting views, majestic mountains, and seawater make the bay one of the best resorts in Europe.
However, if you want to spend more time there, then you need to get a visa or leave the country, at least for a day, for example, to neighboring countries.
Upon your return back to Montenegro, a new countdown of 30 days will start.
The developed infrastructure of the nearest cities, with many shops and hotels suited for every fancy, historical sights and modern entertainment will allow nobody to stay indifferent.