How to get to the canyon?
You can easily visit the sight both independently and using the travel agency service.
When travelling alone, it is best to follow the routes below:
- By bus from Mojkovac. First, you should arrive in the city of Mojkovac by bus, and then take a taxi to the final destination.
- By bus from Žabljak. This is the closest resort city to the canyon. Buses from Podgorica, Niksic, Danilovgrad, Shavnik and Pljevlja go there. But it is necessary to take into account that this type of public transport goes to Zabljak strictly on schedule, several times a day.
For example, the Niksic-Zabljak bus leaves from the station at 7:10, 10:50, 15:05, 17:20, and 18:00. The trip will take about 2.5 hours, and the price of the ticket is about seven Euros.Churevac, from where a canyon is perfectly visible, is located 6 km from Zabljak.
You can walk to Churevac on foot or by taxi (for about 10 Euros).
- By car from Niksic. You must follow the Niksic-Zabljak road.
Also, you can use the service of travel agencies, but most of the excursions will be comprehensive in their nature and last all day long.
Do you know where the most famous monasteries of Montenegro? Montenegro are located? Read about it in our article.
What to see in Montenegro in the summer? Look here for the most popular places where tourists from all over the world want to go.
Canyons sightseeing tour
The tour starts at 6:30 and ends at 20:00. The price is 40 Euros, plus 2 Euros to visit the Morača Monastery and 2 Euros to visit the Durmitor Park.
During the tour, you will be able to deliberately view half of all the sights of Montenegro. In addition to the canyon, tourists get acquainted with the Skadar and Black Lakes, Podgorica, the Moraca Monastery and the Durmitor National Park.
- The Đurđevića Tara Bridge. Visiting the canyon of the Tara River begins with the Đurđevića Tara Bridge (architect Miyat Troyanovich).
This is a huge arch bridge of 172 meters in height. Its length is 366 meters, it is built from solid concrete, and is considered to be the highest road bridge in Europe.
- Tara River. A path begins to the right of the bridge leading to the platform of the canyon and to the river itself, which is distinguished by extremely clear water. You can safely drink this water without additional treatment.
Here you can also see endangered species of fish. Interesting is the fact that sport fishing is officially allowed in certain parts of the river.
- The Durmitor National Park. The canyon is an ecologically clean place, which is part of the largest Durmitor National Park, famous for its rare species of plants, animals and birds. The entrance fee to the park is 2 Euros.
Part of the park is mountainous, with Bobotov Kuk as its highest point.
From December to March, a ski resort opens here and caves are also always available to visit, with the Ice Cave as the most famous one.
- Visiting Orthodox monasteries. Exploring the Tara Canyon, you can visit the late medieval monasteries located there, namely:
- St. Michael the Archangel, and
The age of the monasteries dates back to the 15th and 16th centuries, they have a rich history and are well preserved.
See a selection of photos from a tour to the canyon of the Tara River:
Rafting on the Tara River
Tara rafting is the most popular type of holiday in Montenegro. From May to October, the river is accessible for crossing on rafts, kayaks, and inflatable boats…
The approximate cost of a one-day rafting is 60 Euros.
The amount also includes:
- entrance fee to the Durmitor park, and
Big Ring of Montenegro Tour
The tour starts at 6:00 and ends at 19:00. The price is 35 Euros, which includes.
- transfer by comfortable bus;
- accompanying by a multilingual guide; and
- walk through the park.
During the tour, you can see not only the canyon of the Tara River and the Đurđevića Tara Bridge, but also:
- famous Skadar Lake,
- city Podgorica,
- The Platia canyon of the Morača River,
- Petrovskaya mountain,
- the Morača medieval monastery,
- Kolasin city, and
- Biogradska Gora National Park.
Read more about the Đurđevića Tara Bridge in our article.
What are the prices for fishing in Montenegro? The information for lovers of sea trawling fishing is given here.
We know about miracles in the monastery of Ostrog in Montenegro http://adriaticsea.blog/visit/sight-mne/monastyr-ostrog.html, repeatedly recorded by witnesses.
The Tara River canyon can be explored at any time of the year, but it is forbidden to visit it alone, only if accompanied by a guide!
This mountainous terrain represents a certain risk, especially for an inexperienced person. You can sign up for an excursion in the town of Zabljak, as well as use the service of a guide, the approximate price of which is 20 Euros per day.